Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ramblings of Encouragement for a Demographic I Love


In the Apostle Paul's famous chapter 13  in the book of Corinthians, Paul wrote about heaven that, "...I shall know just as I also am known."  These words stand against an American  media culture (i.e. reality TV etc...) which says all should clamor for attention. A world that says it is better to be known for something, even if it may be bad, than to live a life of obscurity. It appears from many of our actions that we are easily tricked into thinking that God notices and rewards people in the same way the world does. There is no Biblical proof of this I can find. We are encourage to live quiet lives both in 1 Thessalonians 4:11 and 1 Timothy 2:2.

Interestingly, there is nothing in the Bible that indicates that there is such a thing as obscurity for the believer. Paul says we will be known. I believe we will not only be known to God but also to our fellow saints in Heaven. Our enemy, the Devil, would love to discourage us otherwise. He would especially like to discourage what I see as still a small but growing phenomena in American Christianity. Women who put off glitz and glory of our time to live quiet lives for the blessings of our nation's children and for the community.

The hope of American Christianity lies with their work. We all must support them and their families. I have read reports that it takes 40 people in a church to bring one person to Christ. But the average home school mom has a 90% success rate in producing Godly offspring. Do the math. It is no wonder that our enemy would like to trick this demographic into thinking that putting all they have into child raising is misapplied energy. Even near where I live, there is a popular ministry focused on children and young adults started by a women who got tired of being home with her children. Go figure.

Moms: You are the most critically vital and important demographic group in America. Be encouraged. God is not overlooking anyone doing His will. I can tell you even from my business world experience that those who focus their energy on raising children are not missing out.  Most weeks, I would rather spend a week at home with my kids than traveling about the country.

God knows us. And in Heaven, we will be known. We will be rewarded for the small things we have been faithful in (Mathew 25:14-23). How that reward plays out. I do not claim to know. We can only have faith that it will and our work will not be unknown. Not only that, but God says whatever we do for our own glory will be of no importance in Heaven. God is not tricking any of us into giving up anything of value. He saved us from destruction and perdition and is only keeping us from wasting our lives. Even though the work of child raising and daily discipleship can be hard, those doing this are doing a great work!

Your thoughts: How can we encourage families and especially Moms in raising their children for God?

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement, Doug. Speaking from a personal mommy perspective, I think some of it is a priority problem. If we can learn to filter out getting upset or putting lots of energy into temporary things, which surround us and come at us all the time, and focus on things that have eternal value (our children's spirits), then we will really being doing a great work and hopefully not feel like we're just spinning our wheels~

    ReplyDelete
  2. doug,
    1)in response to your comment over at my place... yes. it is striking... He says, come to ME. He gives, we find. rest of the most useful kind - that of soul rest.
    2)in response to this post. wow. super encouraging. thank you. it is SO good to remember that the One who sees all is the One whose rewards count for something. we all need to remember this, I think, both men and women alike. of course, I especially appreciate the point you're making for people who are pouring their lives out and are rarely recognized (humanly speaking). specifically mothers. same goes for those people in the church who serve quietly as well. Sunday school teachers, ladies who work in the kitchen and those who voluntarily maintain church buildings are often forgotten as well... but not by God. :)
    thanks for this reminder.

    amy in peru

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is good to hear you speak of how much you appreciate your wife and what she is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just speaking those words is a tremendous encouragement to a stay at home mom, especially if she is struggling with how much she truly "matters" and "contributes". It's so hard when there is no concrete way to determine your success or impact as a mom, but hearing that it is valued, especially to Him who sees is a tremendous blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doug, the Biblical quote you based your post on is one of the most consoling for me. I'm a great aunt with many friends who home school. Their work is inestimable. But by the standards of the world it doesn't amount to much. The impact *for* the world is inestimable. Don't listen to the radical feminists. They are a minority and very bitter people. Many of them have aborted their babies in order to live the life they now have. What price fame? The soul is priceless.

    Thanks for visiting my site. I wrote a response to your comment saying that you "Protestants" are more than welcome to join in my effort to publicly acknowledge Christ as King. In fact, I know that Jesus would be very pleased.

    Praised be Jesus Christ!
    Now and forever. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Doug -
    Great post! Thanks for visiting my site. As you know, I stay home with my little darlings and couldn't ask for anything more. It's the hardest thing I've ever done, but also the best and most worthwhile. Blessings on you and your wife and family. ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Doug,
    Staying home is really tough, especially in a culture that puts such a value on making money to buy more stuff! Whether moms home school or send their kids off to school, we all need to feel valued for our contributions.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my place with your encouraging words. I, too, love mamy of our national parks and praise God for the vast displays of glorious beauty. In answer to your question, I think the most important thing is to encourage mothers to do as Mary did--take time to sit at Jesus' feet. He will reveal those things that are most important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a quick note to say thank you for the warm welcome to HCB. I've looked through several of your posts, and really appreciate the perspective you offer. Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a good Mother's Day post, Doug, though I'm sure the moms reading this appreciated the off-holiday affirmation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the picture (oh, that read hair!) and I love the question you pose.

    When I stayed home, (I work part-time right now) I struggled telling strangers this because I felt as if I got the standard, "Oh, that's great" and then silence.

    I think part of encouraging moms in validating what they do.

    ReplyDelete